Coronavirus: All GAA, Camogie, and LGFA activity cancelled until the end of March

0
103
Galway Daily sport All GAA cancelled to halt spread of coronavirus

The GAA, along with An Cumann Camógaíochta and the LGFA are cancelling all activity as of midnight tonight to fight the spread of the coronavirus.

The three groups have decided to suspend all activity until March 29 as the government has announced a range of new measures today to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that all schools are closing from today, and also said that all outdoor events with more than 500 people should be cancelled, along with indoor events with more than 100 attendees.

This suspension applies to activity at the club, inter-county and educational levels, and includes all games, training and team gatherings at all ages and all grades.

“We will continue to liaise with Government officials and review the situation between now and the end of the month, assessing the impact of these measures on our competitions,” a joint statement said. 

“In the meantime, the Association is encouraging all members to continue to follow the guidelines which have been provided by the health authorities.”

The Galway senior football side were due to face Mayo in Pearse Stadium this Sunday for the Allianz National League.

The Galway Ladies Football team were going to play Cork in Round 6 of Division 1 on March 22, though no venue had been set yet.

In the Littlewoods Ireland Camogie League Galway were going to face Down on March 15, a day after the minor side were due to play Kilkenny in the Tesco League.